In every industry, there are important regulations that need to be followed. From HIPAA to GDPR, any company that collects or stores sensitive data needs to stay up to date with the latest laws.
NIST 800-53 & NIST 800-171 are two important regulations that all businesses should follow, even if not legally required for your company.
If you’re wondering how to go about certification, the good news is that your organization is not alone. With compliance as a service from Envision Consulting, you can get the NIST certification you need.
But let’s bring it back just a bit and break down exactly what a NIST certification is and why you need one.
What is a NIST Certification?
NIST 800-53 & NIST 800-171 are two standards published by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) to improve security for organizations with access to sensitive data. Both standards provide a set of guidelines for protecting confidential information.
The differences between the two lie in their scope and purpose:
- NIST 800-53 is a compliance strategy for federal information systems. It systematically outlines guidelines for advanced security measures following a three-tier impact framework.
- NIST 800-171 applies specifically to contractors who conduct business with the U.S. government and handle Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI).
What Are the Benefits of Getting a NIST Certification?
It’s an unfortunate fact that many businesses don’t recognize the value behind following NIST and becoming certified. If you are still on the fence, take a look at the overwhelming benefits of compliance certification. Not to mention, NIST frameworks are easy to understand, flexible, and continually improved and updated.
- Increased customer trust: Customer trust is the foundation of any good business. Getting an NIST certification shows that your organization takes security seriously, and customers can trust you with their data.
- Avoid legal trouble: By meeting the requirements of NIST 800-53 & NIST 800-171, you can be better protected and avoid costly fines and penalties associated with data breaches and cyberattacks. If your data is breached, you can prove to interested parties that you did everything in your power to follow proper procedures.
- Enable access to government contracts: If your company works with the U.S. government, being certified according to NIST standards could be a requirement for doing business.
- Compliance-oriented culture: Having an NIST certification sets the precedent for a culture of compliance. Companies with this kind of culture make sure that their security measures are always up to date and well maintained, which is key to having a secure IT infrastructure.
How Envision Consulting Can Help You Get a NIST Certification
Getting a NIST certification can be a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. Envision Consulting offers compliance as a service—an easy and straightforward way to get the certification you need in less than a year.
Our services include a thorough assessment of your current security practices, advice on how to meet regulatory mandates, training materials, guidance on how to create policies and procedures, and access to our third-party compliance auditor.
Typically, the process of getting an NIST certification takes 9-12 months. However, it depends on your company size; with help from Envision, you can easily navigate the process and get your certification as soon as possible.
Don’t Wait–Get Your Certification Now!
Getting a NIST certification is essential for any business—regardless of its size or industry. It’s the best way to ensure your organization is secure and compliant with regulations. And even if you don’t legally have to comply with NIST regulations, the benefits of certification are worth it!
With help from Envision’s team of experts, we make it easy for you to get NIST certified quickly and accurately. Don’t wait any longer—start protecting your data today!